On today’s show, Stig Brodersen talks with co-host William Green, the author of “ Richer, Wiser, Happier.” They discuss what has made them Richer, Wiser, or Happier in the past quarter.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:31 - How to think about investing with an asset manager that yields a lower return and has good values, or an asset manager with a higher return and bad values.
27:35 - The role of money vs. happiness for billionaires.
48:55 - What Stig and William learned from Ray Dalio.
54:51 - Why pain + reflection = progress.
1:25:16 - What Stig and William learned from Charlie Munger.
1:44:22 - Why William bought Alibaba and Seritage Growth Properties.
1:53:09 - Which investing books made it to the top 5 for Stig and William for Q1 2023, and why.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Listen to Stig Brodersen and William Green’s episode on Money and Happiness or watch the video .
- Listen to William Green’s interview with Ray Dalio or watch the video .
- Tune in to William Green’s interview with Fred Martin about being a disciplined growth investor or watch the video .
- William Green’s book Richer, Wiser, Happier – read reviews of this book .
- Fred Martin’s book, Benjamin Graham and the Power of Growth Stocks – read reviews of this book .
- Bruce Greenwald’s book, Competition Demystified – read reviews of this book .
- Joel Tillinghast’s book, Big Money Thinks Small – read reviews of this book .
- Ray Dalio’s book, Your Guided Journal – read reviews of this book .
- Aswath Damodaran’s book, The Little Book of Valuation – read reviews of this book .
- Gautam Baid’s book, The Joys of Compounding – read reviews of this book .
- Q&A with Charlie Munger from the DIJO meeting .
- Watch the trailer for Free Solo .
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs .
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here .
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool .
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services .
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Have peace of mind knowing River holds Bitcoin in multi-sig cold storage with 100% full reserves.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple .
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax .
- Have Commonwealth Private 's Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money , presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business .
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Get yourself a Blockstream Jade -- An all-in-one, bitcoin-only hardware wallet that makes protecting your bitcoin so easy. Use the coupon code Fundamentals to get 10% off.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor .
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors .
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts ! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!