Stepping Out of Your Shadows: How to Overcome Your Fear of Judgment
Has there been a time in your life when you felt stuck because you're afraid of what others might think? Fear can be paralysing as it surrounds you like a shadow. The truth, however, is that fear is normal.
In this episode, I share with you my thoughts about fear. I talk about how fear holds us back in our lives and the different factors surrounding it. I also share my experiences, which ultimately changed my perspective on how to handle my fears.
Living stuck in fear is never a good thing, and it’s time for you to face your fears and move forward. If you want to step out of the shadows of your fears, this episode is for you.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Learn how fear keeps you stuck in your life.
- Understand your fears and how to manage them.
- Gain valuable insights from how I handle my fears.
- You’re Better Than You Think You Are: How to Unlock the Shackles that Keep You Stuck by Angela Cox
- Enough by Angela Cox
- Check out BookAuthority to see my book and other self-care books that may help you.
- The Mindset Mentor Meets Ep 33 on Imposter Syndrome
- The Mindset Mentor Meets Ep 53 on Mastering Your Mindset: Stained Glass Windows
- Connect with me: Website | Instagram
- Visit my daughter’s Instagram to send a pocket of joy to a friend!
[01:39] What’s Going on With My Life
- Recently, my book Enough has been chosen to rank in the “Top 100 Self Help Books of All Time” by Book Authority.
- I’ve been busy with my studies at Cambridge, and I’m planning to get a doctorate in Professional Executive Coaching.
- I’ve had more male clients than usual, which I feel is a positive change.
- I partner with my husband in coaching several organisations and teams.
[07:25] The Science of Fear
- In this episode, I talk about fear, which is the third shackle in my book, You’re Better Than You Think You Are.
- Fear is what holds back most of my clients and people in general.
- There are two schools of thought that explain how fear manifests in a person: one where the feeling follows the physiological reaction and the opposite.
- Fear is never a nice feeling, which is why we tend to avoid it at all costs.
[10:25] Fear and Phobia
- Phobias are when we associate the fear response with something that doesn’t necessarily warrant fear, like buttons or cotton.
- I covered phobias to a certain extent in You’re Better Than You Think You Are.
- There are different techniques and approaches to treating phobias.
- I am finding better techniques that aim to help people overcome their deep-rooted issues.
[12:06] Forms of Fear
- Fear comes in many forms and manifests in many different ways.
- We dislike rejection, and fear is something we feel we need to protect ourselves from.
- The lines between types of fear can get blurry.
- We fear judgment, but people don’t usually judge us. Rather, we perceive or believe that we are being judged.
- Listen to the full episode to learn more about the connection between transaction analysis theory and fear of judgment.
[17:08] Accepting Fear
- From 2017–2018, I experienced a lot of internet trolling, which equates to mass rejection.
- Rejection is a normal thing you’ll experience in your life. You don’t have to be liked by everyone.
- Accepting rejection as a normal part of your life will make it easier for you to handle the fear of judgment.
- What’s important is to be comfortable with the unsettling feeling of fear.
[23:12] Who Are You Afraid Of?
- Find where your fear comes from.
- Is judgment coming from someone you love and respect?
- Is what you’re being judged for something you need to work on?
- Is what you’re worried about something that you’ll be thinking about in a week or a month?
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
[12:30] ‘And therefore, fear is almost something that we feel in order to protect ourselves from that feeling of rejection because none of us, if we put our hand on our heart, like that feeling on a natural level, unless we consciously override what that means to us’.
[16:55] ‘So, just tune into yourself over the next few days. And notice how often you judge other people because you will then be looking for that threat from other people judging you’.
[20:55] ‘And the more that you can move towards accepting that rejection is a normal experience within life, the easier it will be for you to process, the threat of judgments when it strikes’.
[23:12] ‘Ask yourself: Who are you really fearful of being judged by’?
[28:49] ‘Judgment isn’t as big a bear as you think it is. And actually, you pushing on the edge of your comfort zone is so much more beneficial than staying in your comfort zone, staying small for fear that this judgment might come’.
Enjoy this Podcast?
Being stuck in your life because of your fears is a life not worth living. You must learn how to deal with your fears and set yourself free from their shackles. If you enjoyed today's episode of The Mindset Mentor Meets…, then hit subscribe and share it with your friends!
Post a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning into this podcast episode, then don’t hesitate to write a review. You can also share this with your family and friends so they can feel empowered to get back up!
To defining success,