Florence Williams (@flowill) is a journalist and the author of The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative , Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History , and Heartbreak: A Personal and Scientific Journey.What We Discuss with Florence Williams:
- How "real" is heartbreak? Real enough that our brains react to the emotional pain of heartbreak in the same way they react to physical pain.
- The chronic loneliness brought about by heartbreak can increase the risk of early death by as much as 26 percent.
- Just as you wouldn't expect results from "wishing" a toothache away, ignoring the distress caused by heartbreak can exacerbate existing medical problems and create new ones — from inflammation to diabetes, heart disease, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Differences between the causes and symptoms of heartbreak as typically experienced by women and men.
- What we can do to mitigate the pain if we find ourselves suffering from heartbreak.
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/790This Episode Is Brought To You By Our Fine Sponsors: jordanharbinger.com/deals
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course !
Miss our conversation with evolutionary social psychologist Dr. Sarah Hill? Catch up with episode 280: Sarah Hill | This Is Your Brain on Birth Control here!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!