They're finally here, the new M2 MacBook Pros, mew Mac mini and Mac mini "Pro", and the brand new HomePods! This episode we react and discuss all of it....
This episode supported by
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
Cult of Mac's watch store is full of beautiful straps that cost way less than Apple's. See the full curated collection at Store.Cultofmac.com
CultCloth will keep your Mac Studio, Studio Display, iPhone 14, glasses and lenses sparkling clean, and for a limited time use code CULTCAST at checkout to score a free CarryCloth with any order at CultCloth.co.
This week's stories
Apple Announces New MacBook Pros With M2 Pro and M2 Max Chips, Up to 96GB RAM, and More
- The new M2 Pro chip features a 10-core or 12-core CPU and offers up to 20% faster performance than the M1 Pro chip, according to Apple. The chip also has a 16-core or 19-core GPU that delivers up to 30% faster graphics performance over the M1 Pro, while the 16-core Neural Engine is up to 40% faster compared to the previous generation.
2024 MacBook Pro will feature even-faster 3nm Apple M3-series processors
- Apple designs the CPUs for its computers but they are produced by TSMC. And while the Taiwanese company has been able to consistently shrink the components of Apple’s chips every couple of years, but serious problems with the 3nm process that rollout was delayed many months.
Apple launches powerful new Mac mini at a lower cost
- Apple launched a new Mac mini Tuesday, an upgraded model that uses the M2 chip seen last summer in the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. A higher-end version runs on the brand-new M2 Pro chip, which also powers the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros, also introduced today.
Apple resurrects full-size HomePod with hot new features, same old price
- The first-generation HomePod debuted in 2018, and received equal parts praise for its audio quality and criticism for its $349 price. A drop to $299 did little to raise interest in the product, so Apple discontinued the HomePod in 2021.
HomePod head-to-head: How Apple’s new smart speaker compares to original
Secret sensor in your HomePod mini will activate soon
- Shortly after HomePod mini launched in 2020, teardowns of the device discovered a sensor to measure both temperature and humidity. No one outside of Apple had been aware of it before because the functionality has been inaccessible to users. But that’s about to change.