In this episode, Josh and Ian discuss the implications and responsibility of online streaming and content creation. They talk about the minimal barriers of becoming a streamer or "content creator" and the attraction of the industry to children and young adult creators, the exposure to technology that children now have, the battle for engagement on platforms such as Twitch and YouTube, the lengths people are going to achieve fame and wealth and redefining work, mukbang and the reflection an audience has of the overall culture, Mr. Beast and his supposed altruistic and philanthropic acts of donation and charity in exchange for viewership and engagement, the large audiences that content creators have over legacy media, speech and intent, the recent controversy over defamation at Fox News, vocal minorities and the language of "misinformation", a micro-controversy in the Hunt: Showdown gaming community, certainty and skepticism, audience capture and influence, having measured conversations and knowing when or when not to talk about certain topics, the illusion of freedom and imprisonment of passion, the dangers of solipsism and nihilism from someone like Alex Jones and his followers, how some are held to entirely different standards of accountability, and various other topics.
- Twitch tries clearing up confusion over streamers’ responsibility for community actions
- List of most-followed Twitch channels
- Fox News’ ‘The Five’ topples ‘Tucker Carlson Tonight’ to become new cable news ratings leader
- How Much Do Twitch Streamers Make
- Inside the daily lives of successful live streamers
- How livestreaming has changed gaming culture
- MrBeast: Why has YouTuber faced criticism for blind surgery video?
- Forget law school, these kids want to be a YouTube star
- Inside the rise of Nikocado Avocado, the extreme-eating YouTuber whose dramatic meltdowns have led to years of controversy and feuds
- Huuge Twitch Channel
- America’s Favorite Flimsy Pretext for Limiting Free Speech
Follow them on Twitter at:
and the podcast @necessarybspod
Recorded 03 March 2023