In this episode of the How to Succeed in Product Management Podcast, marketing professor Jeff Shulman and The Product Management Center advisory board member Soumeya Benghanem welcome Patrick Waltz (HP), Dave Fleischman (Compass), and Sheena Dhanaraj to talk about why frameworks are valuable and why PMs should know them. Frameworks help PMs make strategic decisions, discover product ideas, and solve problems.
Disclaimer: All opinions of the speakers are their own.
Support for How to Succeed in Product Management is brought to you by Apptentive, which enables product managers to measure shifts in customer emotion and gather actionable feedback across the mobile customer journey. To learn more, go to Apptentive.com/UW.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:18 Why frameworks are valuable
- 06:33 Frameworks is a collection of principles
- 09:07 Getting things done
- 11:03 Assumption mapping
- 11:23 Working backwards
- 13:44 North star framework
- 15:37 Funnel mapping
- 20:27 Establishing a good North star
- 21:36 No one size fits all
- 24:50 Know your job
- 27:17 Have an idea and share it
- 29:22 When the framework goes wrong
- 34:49 How do you pick a framework?
- 36:46 What’s a framework you’d love to be removed?
- 38:57 Psychological safety in teams
- 45:05 Final thoughts