In this episode of the How to Succeed in Product Management Podcast, marketing professor Jeff Shulman and The Product Management Center advisory board members Red Russak and Soumeya Benghanem welcome Zenifar Hathiari (Amazon) to talk about collecting and utilizing customer usage data. As a PM, you have to be able to understand usage data and use this information to help improve the product, analyze customer reception and satisfaction level for future iteration and final product output.
Disclaimer: All opinions of the speakers are their own.
Support for How to Succeed in Product Management is brought to you by Apptentive, which enables product managers to measure shifts in customer emotion and gather actionable feedback across the mobile customer journey. To learn more, go to Apptentive.com/UW.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 03:18 Importance of data
- 07:39 Customer usage data
- 08:45 When to dive into customer usage data
- 11:11 Data sources
- 12:51 Customer vs. product data
- 14:58 Visualizing the data
- 16:44 How sales data is affects product
- 20:23 Quantitative and qualitative data
- 23:29 Utilizing customer usage data
- 27:22 Optimal amount of people to include in your framework
- 31:43 Advice for PM new to data
- 33:52 Favorite go-to data points
- 37:31 Data vs. real life
- 39:38 Usage or qualitative data first?
- 42:16 Third party data
- 43:38 Taking action on customer usage data
- 45:30 Balancing the need for speed and mitigating risk and collecting data
- 46:43 Book recommendations
- 47:48 Final thoughts